Need a quick dinner? Autumn is apple and pear season and the Pacific Northwest grows some of the finest around. This healthy recipe takes advantage of the season. It is an easy base – mix it up by substituting pears and goat cheese, or sprinkle some Northwest hazelnuts on top. Vegetarians can easily make it by omitting the chicken.
This hearty grain bowl is easy to assemble and uses ingredients you probably already have on hand. Use precooked rotisserie chicken if desired and your favorite whole grain to start this easy bowl. Recipe is courtesy Washington State Apple Commission. See their website for more great recipes.
Apple Cheddar Grain Bowl
- 2 Gala apples
- 8 green onions
- 8 cups mixed greens
- 3 cups cooked barley (or other whole grain)
- 12 ounces rotisserie chicken, in bite sized pieces
- 1 cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese, cut into about ½ inch cubes
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Core and chop Gala apples into ½ inch cubes, and thinly slice white and green parts of green onions. Set aside.
2. Divide mixed greens, cooked barley, chicken, cheddar cheese, apples, green onion, and sunflower seeds between 4 plates or large bowls.
3. Prepare salad dressing by pouring balsamic vinegar and olive oil into a small mixing bowl. Add salt and pepper, whisk immediately prior to serving. Enjoy.