Recipe Courtesy of Viking Cruises. See all of our Viking Cruises.
Here is one of the recipes we have collected while traveling through France—the almond paste, an ingredient often used in French baking, gives this delicious dessert a Continental flavor. Serve alone or top with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Enjoy many apple-based pastries on a Paris & the Heart of Normandy cruise through a region famous for its apple orchards.
- One unbaked, room-temperature 9-inch tart shell
- One roll (about 7 ounces) almond paste
- One cup fresh cranberries
- Five medium-sized apples (preferably Macintosh), peeled and sliced to make approximately 5 cups
- A quarter cup sugar
- One teaspoon cinnamon
- A half cup uncooked oats
- A half cup all-purpose flour
- A half cup brown sugar
- Six tablespoons unsalted butter, very cold or frozen
- A quarter cup sliced almonds
- Vanilla ice cream
Preheat oven to 375°F. Flatten almond paste on a sheet of wax paper with a rolling pin, to form an 8-inch circle. Press almond circle into the bottom of the unbaked tart shell. In a bowl, combine cranberries, apples, sugar and a half teaspoon of cinnamon. Pour on top of almond circle, into tart shell. In a bowl, combine the remaining cinnamon, oats, flour and brown sugar. Cut butter into very small pieces and stir into cinnamon mixture until crumbs form. Spoon crumb mixture evenly over the top of the apple mixture. Bake 50-60 minutes. Sprinkle with sliced almonds during the last 5 minutes of cooking time. Serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy!
Makes 6 servings.