Viking Cruise Lines offers up the recipe for the classic Cajun favorite – a tasty blend of spices served with a simple drizzle of lemon. Make up a batch of the spice mix for an easy go-to taste of the lower Mississippi region anytime!
- 2 Tbsp (15 g) smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp (7.5 g) Lawry’s seasoned salt
- 1 Tbsp (3.5 g) onion powder
- 1 Tbsp (9.8 g) granulated garlic
- 1 tsp (1.8 g) cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp (2.3 g) pepper
- 1 tsp (2.4 g) white pepper
- 2 tsp (3.6 g) dried thyme
- 2 tsp (3.6 g) dried oregano
- 2 tsp (3.6 g) dried sweet basil
- 1 tsp (2.5 g) celery seed
- 1 C (230 g) unsalted butter, melted and divided
- 6 8-oz (227-g) red drum or snapper fillets
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 2 lemons, sliced
Combine seasoning ingredients in a food processor and blend until fine; set aside.
Preheat oven to 225˚F (107°C). Place ½ C (115 g) butter in a small bowl and set aside. Place remaining butter in a shallow bowl. Place cast iron skillet over high heat until very hot. Dip fish in butter and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle generously with seasoning blend, patting in with your fingers. Working in batches, place seasoned side down in skillet and cook until seasoning turns dark, approximately 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet, cooked side down and place in oven. Drain excess butter from skillet and allow skillet to return to maximum temperature. Remove fish from oven and sprinkle uncooked side with seasoning blend, patting spice in with fingers. Place newly seasoned side down in hot skillet and cook about 3 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Spoon 1 tsp (5 g) butter and squeeze juice of one lemon wedge over each fillet. Cover and hold in oven while repeating steps for other fillets. Spoon another 1 tsp (5 g) melted butter over each fillet and serve with lemon slices.
- Prep time: 15 minutes.
- Cook time: 20 minutes.
- Makes 6 servings.