Ingredients: 10 servings
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup onions, small dice
1 cup celery , small chop
1 cup carrots, small chop
½ cup scallions, chopped
3 each garlic cloves, minced
½ pound shrimp (40-50 count, peeled)
2 cups tomatoes dice with juice
1 Tablespoon tomato paste
4 cups Shrimp Stock
1 each bay leaf
½ cup raw rice
2 Tablespoons tarragon, chopped fresh
1 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons Brandy
1 teaspoon Herbsaint or Pernod
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon black pepper, ground
5 teaspoons scallions, slivered for garnish
- Heat the butter in a heavy bottomed pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions, celery, carrots, and scallions and cook, stirring, for about 10 minutes, and then add the garlic and shrimp and cook 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato dice, tomato paste, shrimp stock, 4 cups water, bay leaf and stir.
- Bring it to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and tarragon and cook for another 20 minutes until rice is completely soft.
- Let it cool for about 10 minutes.
- Carefully puree in a blender, in batches if necessary and strain through a fine sieve into another pot.
- Whisk in the cream, brandy, Herbsaint and taste for seasoning.
- Add salt and hot sauce and adjust consistency as desired with water, stock, or more cream.
- Serve garnished with scallions.