Chocolate Guinness Cake
A taste of Ireland’s favorite drink baked into a delicious chocolate cake
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup plus 1.5 tablespoons unrefined sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 generous teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons natural yogurt or buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons of Guinness Stout
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare your cake tin by lining with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl sieve all the dry ingredients together.
- Then lightly whisk the egg, vanilla and buttermilk/or yogurt in a small bowl.
- Next melt the butter, cocoa and the Guinness in a saucepan, when it is just melted stir it smooth making sure there are no lumps.
- Now mix all ingredients together, pour into the prepared tin and bake for approx 45 minutes or when a tester comes out clean.
- Let to stand for 30 minutes before turning out from its tin. Turn out and cool on a wire rack.
- To serve, dust with cocoa & serve with softly whipped cream, decorate with chocolate truffles, or ice with a chocolate butter cream.